So far we have only presented projects that were relatively easy to recreate. Today's project is not complicated, but a little skill is required. We solder an antenna socket on the Raspberry to lead the WiFi out of the housing and to improve the range.
However, there is something else to consider before starting the project:
- Warranty and guarantee expire completely
- FCC certification is lost
- depending on the antenna, the permissible transmission power is exceeded
- there is a risk of destroying the device
Now that we have dealt with the unpleasant sides, we can start tinkering.
First we look for the antenna:
Marked red in the picture. This is wired from the back, here photographed with a microscope:
The yellow arrow marks the via for the ceramic antenna on the top. The red arrow marks the resistance or bridge that we have to move. We build the new bridge on the small purple marked contact area. The blue arrow marks the soldering area for the Rifle.
First we take care of the red marked bridge, this has to be removed. We simply pushed them out of their place with a fine tip. If you lose this part, nothing is broken, we actually don't need it anymore. Here is a picture with the bridge removed:
The new connection (bridge) should look like this later:
Moving the bridge is important because we not only use it to connect the socket, but also to ensure that the ceramic antenna has no contact with the conductor track. Unsoldering the antenna on the top without interrupting the conductor track is not expedient. For the better assembly of the socket, we have removed some varnish to be able to fix it on three sides:
After tinning the contact surfaces we have the Antenna socket placed in the place intended for them and blown with a little hot air. The tin melted and the socket was firmly connected to the contact surfaces:
Now create the bridge discussed above:
The finished conversion looks like this:
The new bridge is clearly visible in the picture, since we applied a little too much tin (this is not a solder spatter).
This project was a challenge for us and we sweat a lot when it was implemented. It took a while until we had the necessary rest for this tremor, but in the end it was not as difficult as it looks.
Until the next post :-)